For our monthly updates post, we decided to do this update post in Family Christmas Card style, so here are a few fun things that happened to us (writing-related and beyond) to look back on as we move towards 2017. Enjoy!
- We made our goals for 2016—and boy, we had high hopes for 2016.
- Travis started a new semester of school—his third to last!
- He also got into a popular creative writing class taught by Brandon Sanderson.
- We buckled up for season 2 of Star Wars: Rebels.
- Whitney started going to the gym and learned how to lift weights.
- Whitney also discovered the Hamilton musical and is still obsessed with it.
- We cleaned up our website theme to what you see now. Still love it!
- Whitney participated in #authorlifemonth with a few other writing friends on Instagram.
- Whitney also got a single print copy of her 2nd draft of Destiny Seeker to have and to hold. It definitely confused everyone because they thought it meant she was done. But she was not done.
- Whitney made a vision board, which was a great excuse to collect fanart of her favorite strong female characters.
- We also had family in town! Yay! Everyone agreed that our apartment was a bit snug.
- Whitney discovered the magic of Your Write Dream and #StorySocial. Great communities if you’re looking for one.
- We celebrated our second wedding anniversary!
- Whitney also conquered the Build a Better Blog Challenge, through Brigid Gallagher. She looked over our blog and gave us some sick advice!
- We tried the Camp NaNo thing but spectacularly didn’t try hard enough.
- Travis finished another semester of school and has already burned the evidence.
- Travis celebrated by making more progress on his Star Wars fanfiction.
- Whitney skipped out on social media to do the right thing, which was work on Destiny Seeker.
- We also participated in a blog tour for Fairest Poison by Laura Skidmore.
- Travis participated in a great writing group and got some inspiring revision and writing ideas.
- Travis also did the right thing and relaxed all month.
- Whitney and Travis visited Disneyland and basically enjoyed every last inch of the Star Wars stuff in Tomorrowland. Whitney also finally got to meet Flynn and Rapunzel after being spurned back in 2011.
- Travis endured the struggles of summer classes.
- Whitney also held a contest over her birthday weekend. The winner got a free manuscript proofread/review.
- We finally got our custom lightsabers in the mail.
- Whitney’s brother and his wife got a puppy named Jetpack and we became the best aunt and uncle ever.
- Whitney was officially sorted as a Pukwudgie.
- Whitney participated in Camp NaNoWriMo goal and met her 10,000 word goal. She wrote some backstory for her Edge of Empire character, Rathma, who is an ex-soldier Tagruta with a bit of a potty mouth.
- We both fully joined the Pokemon Go hype. What a summer enhancement!
- Whitney discovered and joined the International Geek Girl Pen Pal Club. She also discovered that she needs to work on her pen pal skills.
- We went to all three days of Salt Lake Comic Con 2016 and it was amazing. We went to as many Star Wars panels as possible, bought a butt-ton of books, and met some of our favorite writers. Also, MARK HAMILL.
- We had ample opportunity to show off our Star Wars cosplay costumes for the year. Travis made his own Jedi robes and Whitney created a hip-hop/grunge version of Rey’s “first steps” outfit.
- Whitney had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the books she’s bought because apparently there are 30+ on there that need to be finished before purchasing more. *snort*
- Whitney went through her whole manuscript and applied as many suggestions as possible. Plus she finished ALL HER PROOFREADING. She is ready to finally get on with the publishing process.
- We both finished our Jedi costumes and did our first photoshoot together! The first of many, naturally.
- Travis read any and all Star Wars-canon novels available to him.
- We spent some time with Travis’s mom who came into town with her team to help his sister prep for her upcoming wedding.
- We participated in a blog tour for Amy Braun’s novella, Amber Sky.
- We said we were going to do NaNoWriMo 2016 but didn’t. Rarin’ for a rematch, though.
- Reviewed seven indie novels. Thank you, Thanksgiving break!
- Whitney started her quest for finding her ideal literary agent.
- Whitney got to meet Marissa Meyer at her book signing for Heartless!
- Both of us voted and felt super patriotic! We resolved to be more involved in the community.
- Watched Rogue One three times.
- Travis finished his finals. Only one more semester left!!
- Whitney met her Goodreads reading goal for 2016. Her goal was 30 books, and each one was delicious and amazing.
- Finally got to relax hardcore with family.
We hope you had an awesome holiday break, you had time to celebrate with those you love, and we hope 2017 is fun, safe, and amazing!